Don’t ever let a Republican get away with telling you he wants the government to stay out of people’s lives.
Although they constantly complain about America being a “Nanny State,” their proposals and policies are all about creating a “Daddy State,” the judgmental, authoritarian daddy of 1950s sitcoms.
House GOP members
- want to drug test food stamp applicants and recipients of other federal programs
- support the most intrusive surveillance techniques of the CIA and NSA
- want the government to decide whether a woman can have an abortion or not
- support injecting religious beliefs into public school curricula
- approve of discriminatory practices against gays and lesbians