Thursday, February 17, 2005

Would You Like Fries With That Ambassadorship?

The following exchange of e-mails was obtained exclusively by That’s Going Too Far! The back and forth is between Texas multi-millionaire and Republican party fund raiser Jerry “Bronco” Walker and William Reedy, a top aide to a Midwest Republican Senator.

January 12, 2004

Dear Mr. Reedy,

As you know, I raised over $500,000 for the Republican party and the reelection of George during the past year. At a gala in Houston in November, I met with your Senator and we discussed an ambassadorship at that time. He assured me that I would receive an ambassadorship to a European country. Since then, I have heard through various sources that most, if not all, of the ambassador posts to Europe had been filled. Can you enlighten me on this please?

Yours truly,
Jerry “Bronco” Walker


January 13, 2005

Dear Mr. Walker

Thank you for your note. I have spoken with the Senator about your conversation with him, and, although he doesn’t remember the specific night you speak of, he assures me that you are under consideration for an ambassador’s position. We will be in touch with you shortly.

Sincerely,
William Reedy


January 16, 2005

I appreciate your quick response to my inquiry, Mr. Reedy, but I ask that you clarify exactly what post I am being considered for. There are many countries in this world, and many that would not be suitable for me and my wife. Please let me know which countries have ambassadorships open. By the way, the good Senator doesn’t remember our conversation because he had thrown down three gin and tonics before the rest of us had our coats off.

Jerry


January 18, 2005

Jerry,

After further discussions with the Senator, I have learned that the following countries do not yet have ambassadors: Slovenia, Zambia, Uruguay, Ghana and Haiti. Beautiful countries all. The Senator asks that you take the pick of the crop and let him know as soon as possible. Thanks.

William


January 19, 2005

Listen, William, this is a bunch of crap. Slovenia? Haiti? I was assured that I would be appointed to a clean, white European country, not some disease infested Third World jungle outpost. Tell the Senator to get off his ass and find me a decent country.

Bronco


January 29, 2005

Jerry,

I am afraid all other countries but one have been assigned. Haiti is truly a beautiful place and the ambassador’s home is stunning with a glorious view of the ocean. Please give this plum assignment further consideration. Thanks.

William


February 1, 2005

How stupid do you think I am? Haiti? Why don’t you send me to Lebanon or Iran? I am being jerked around here, Boy, and I don’t like it. I’ve given my heart and soul to the Republican party and the best you can do is some island full of armed darkies who use American ambassadors for target practice? Come up with a better response.

Bronco


February 4, 2005

Jerry,

I assure you, we do appreciate your efforts on behalf of the party, but our hands are tied. The countries I have listed are the only ones left other than a black hole of a country that I would not send my worst enemy to. Please reconsider the possibilities. Thanks.

William


February 6, 2005

What is this country that is so horrible? It can’t be worse than what you’ve already listed.

Bronco


February 6, 2005

France.


February 6, 2005

What language do they speak in Slovenia?

Bronco

No comments: